Last Sunday Mayor Gary Christenson was pleased to congratulate the entire congregation of the Emmanuel Baptist Church on their 75th Anniversary. The Church, located on Hillside Avenue had its earliest beginnings as St. Luke’s on Eastern Avenue and together with the Union Baptist Churches represent 115 years of church history in the city of Malden from 1891 to 2006. The Eastern Avenue Baptist Church began officially with the original name of St. Luke’s in October 1891. The name was changed to Eastern Avenue Baptist Church in January 1910. In 1909 the real estate located at the comer of Eastern Avenue and Hillside Avenue was purchased from the American Unitarian Association. The Union Baptist Church held its first service on January 22, 1899 at Bailey's Hall on Pleasant Street in Malden and was incorporated August 12, 1901. The Pentecostal Chapel (Judson Square) was purchased in 1903 and later the lot at the comer of Madison and Meridian streets was purchased for the permanent church site. Between 1901 and 1945, many efforts were made to unite the churches. On November 7, 1945, the joint bodies of Union and Eastern Avenue Baptist churches merged and named the new church Emmanuel Baptist Church. The dedication service was held on Sunday, March 31, 1946. The first pastor of the Emmanuel Baptist Church was Rev. Earl W. Lawson. He was installed on Sunday, October 26, 1942 and he served as pastor until February 1978. The Reverend Louis E. Sibley, III was installed as pastor on Sunday, September 9, 1979 and served until June 1986. Rev. Wayne A. Gadie, the current pastor, was installed as pastor on Sunday, August 7, 1988. Mayor Christenson presented a citation to Pastor Wayne Gadie in honor of the milestone anniversary.
Pictured: Guest Preacher Dr. Milton Thomas, Pastor Wayne Gadie, Mayor Gary Christenson and members of the Emmanuel Baptist Church