On Wednesday September 2, 2020 Fire Chief William P. Sullivan of the Malden Fire Department was notified by the Department of Homeland Security/Federal Emergency Management Agency’s Grants Management Branch that the Malden Fire Department is the recipient of two Fiscal Year 2019 Federal grants that will significantly benefit the Malden Fire Department and Malden Public Safety.
The first grant, coming under FEMA’s “Assistance to Firefighters” Grant Program awards the Malden Fire Department $208,409.09 for the purchase of approximately 30 new portable radios. This will allow every fire officer and firefighter on duty to maintain communication capabilities with each other and the Malden Fire Department’s Communications Center, known as Fire Alarm. In addition, these new radios have the programmable interoperability feature of allowing the user to communicate with the Fire Alarm offices of other communities and firefighting personnel from other departments. Communication will also be enabled at fire incidents that Malden Firefighters respond to outside of Malden in the 35 surrounding communities, as well as Massport, that the Malden Fire Department maintains mutual aid partnerships with. This capability greatly enhances the level of safety of all Malden Firefighting personnel. The grant was written by Chief Sullivan and was submitted to the Grant Management Branch for consideration this past May.
The second grant, coming under the “Fire Prevention and Safety” Grant Program, also managed by Department of Homeland Security/Federal Emergency Management Agency’s Grants Management Branch, awarded the Malden Fire Department $16,666.67 for the purchase of equipment to be utilized by the Malden Fire Department’s Fire Investigation Unit. This unit, comprised of members of the Malden Fire and Police Departments, investigates the cause and origin of all fires occurring within the City of Malden that are initially deemed to be suspicious in nature. This Unit often works in conjunction with the Massachusetts State Police’s Arson Investigation Unit. The grant was written by Malden Fire Captain Eric DeAvilla, one of the Unit’s lead investigators, and was also submitted for consideration this past May.
The respective grant programs provide 90% of the funding being sought for the equipment to be purchased with the City of Malden funding the remaining 10%. “I congratulate Chief Sullivan and Captain DeAvila for their pursuit in funding this vital equipment,” said Mayor Christenson. “Increasing the communication between the men and women on the front lines, as well improving the ability to investigate suspicious fires is an important priority. I’m grateful for their continued commitment to the safety of their fellow firefighters and our residents.”