Climate Action Plan
HELP CREATE THE MALDEN CLIMATE ACTION PLAN
Watch the Malden Community Climate Check-In: On July 20, 2023, the City of Malden and the Metropolitan Area Planning Council hosted a Community Climate Check-In to provide an update on the City’s ongoing Climate Action Plan effort and gather feedback from residents. The meeting was recorded in two parts: Part 1 is the main presentation, and Part 2 covers future events and community engagement opportunities. Breakout rooms were not recorded.
Interpretation is available in Spanish (Español), Portuguese (Português), Mandarin (普通话), and Haitian Creole (Kreyòl Ayisyen) (the Haitian Creole interpretation is under the “English” option). Due to technical difficulties, interpretations begin at minute 03:43.
TIMELINE FOR THE MALDEN CLIMATE ACTION PLAN
- Winter 2023: CAP process started - Malden and MAPC produced a Greenhouse Gas Audit and base conditions assessment. Malden reviewed applications and selected the resident Steering Committee.
On March 6, MAPC presented a draft audit of Malden's greenhouse gas emissions to the City's Energy Efficiency and Sustainability Commission. See the Documents section below for the draft audit.
- Spring and Summer 2023: Community engagement started - Committee meetings, focus groups, surveys, and Community Climate Check In event. The goal is to collect feedback from 3000 residents on how climate change impacts them and what action they want to see from the City.
- Fall 2023: Analyze the data - MAPC will analyze community feedback and will work with the City of Malden to draft the Climate Action Plan.
- Early 2024: Publish the Climate Action Plan - Malden will begin work implementing the plan's recommendations.
ABOUT THE MALDEN CLIMATE ACTION PLAN
In 2022, Mayor Gary Christenson announced that Malden would create its first Climate Action Plan after receiving a grant award of technical assistance from the Metropolitan Area Planning Council (MAPC). The Climate Action Plan will be a roadmap for the City’s response to climate change, laying out how the City can prevent damage from extreme weather, reduce its energy use, and support residents in doing the same.
Internal work on the Climate Action Plan began with a base conditions survey:
- City staff and MAPC did a Greenhouse Gas Audit of Malden
- They created a list of City policies and practices that impact climate.
These tools will inform Malden's goals for lowering emissions and changing city policies to support climate action.
The Climate Action Plan will focus on community engagement. Malden has formed a resident Steering Committee to help design strategies and reach out to their Malden neighbors and community organizations.
We hope you will engage with the Climate Action Plan process early and often! Updates on the process will be posted here and on the City's social media pages.