The City of Malden is committed to making vital information available to everyone in the city by providing solutions to increase accessibility and eliminate language barriers.
The Office of Language Access has been supporting all City Hall departments in their efforts to connect and serve Malden community members with Limited English Proficiency (LEP) and working diligently on developing solutions to ensure all departments have access to translation services to ensure all community members have equal and meaningful access to municipal services, programs, and activities. We have been reviewing who they serve and available language resources, also gathering data from local agencies and schools to create a current picture of languages spoken in Malden and identify gaps in language access solutions.
To date, the I Speak Campaign Solutions has been implemented with great success.
The campaign offers a variety of language solutions for city staff and community members, including:
- Translated Department Vital Records (any form, permit, record, or other document that individuals applying for services or benefits must understand, respond to or complete to access the services/benefits or continue to receive the services or benefits).
- Bilingual Staff Members
- Free Translation & Interpretation Services for all Municipal transactions, Services and Opportunities
- A Multilingual Language Access Phone Line for all services available
- Voice / Text Translator Devices – Available for all departments with public-facing services and public interactions
- Interpretation equipment available to facilitate in-person multilingual meetings @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
I Speak Campaign
We have created the I Speak logo to identify the Language Access campaign (in-progress).
- I Speak Table Poster – indicates availability of devices or other language resources on location
- Malden I Speak Cards All Languages – contains a comprehensive alphabetized language list (PDF / phone-friendly)
- Voice / Text Translator Devices – Available for all departments with public-facing services and interactions
- City Hall Language Access Line – a multiple language line that will connect callers, via interpreters, to all municipal services and opportunities. It is a free service for the community to reach out to City Hall, ask questions about services, voting, forms, register complaints, etc.
- Bilingual Staff Members
- Your Rights – Free translation / interpretation for all municipal transactions @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
New Community Initiatives
Opportunities for Community members with bilingual skills – to be announced.....