With the implementation of your new Pay As You Throw(PAYT) Trash Cart Program, there are two options for disposing of trash. You can either continue to purchase blue PAYT bags and place them in the black cart or you can purchase a "trash tag" and stick it to your black trash cart which will permit you to use standard household trash bags such as Glad or Hefty bags.
Why would I purchase a trash tag?
Trash tags are intended for residents who are looking to reduce or eliminate the amount of blue bags they have to purchase either for convenience or for environmental reasons of using less plastic.
Additionally there is a cost savings associated with purchasing a trash tag. If you typically use about one large blue bag per week you are spending $104 per year on trash ($2 x 52 weeks). Since a black cart holds the equivalent volume of one large blue bag, you are saving $29 per year by purchasing a trash tag.
How can I purchase trash tags?
You can purchase your Trash Tag online or by visiting the City of Malden Treasurer’s Office at Malden City Hall in person payment accepted by CASH, CHECK OR MONEY ORDER ONLY. Online purchases can take up to two weeks to deliver; if you purchase in person at the Treasurer's office, you will be able to take your sticker home immediately,.
How much does a trash tag cost?
Residents will have the option of purchasing an annual hang tag for $75 per year which will renew each calendar year. If you purchase the trash tag in the middle of a calendar year, the purchase price will be prorated accordingly.
How do I use my trash tag?
- The "tag" is a sticker that should be placed on the front of the cart just above the serial number as shown.
- Sticker can be used on a black 35 gallon city-issued trash cart only. Not valid on any other barrel, cart or container.
- All trash must be bagged using store-bought trash bags. Standard 13 gallon kitchen bag or larger. No loose items or un-bagged trash.
- The lid must be able to completely close. No overstuffing.
- Total trash must not exceed 35 pounds.
- Remember to renew each year in December by purchasing the next year's trash tag. Each year that you purchase a new trash tag, you will stick it over the previous year's sticker (similar to license plate registration stickers).
Can I purchase additional trash tags for other carts?
Yes, if the cart is a city-issued 35 gallon black trash cart. All other carts or barrels used for overflow must have trash contained in blue PAYT bags.