Community Preservation Committee (CPC)
The Community Preservation Committee ("CPC") meets the third Wednesday of every month. All CPC meetings are open to the public and residents are always invited to attend. Public comment is invited during Bi-Annual Informational Hearings, Annual Workshops, and Public Hearings on Project Applications or fill out our survey or send us an email to: Maldencpc@cityofmalden.org.
View the agendas for upcoming and past meetings
Review documents in the meeting packet for the most recent meeting
Review meeting minutes or watch recordings of previous meetings
Sign up for the CPC mailing list by filling out this form
The Community Preservation Act (Massachusetts General Laws chapter 44b, or "CPA") was signed into law on September 14, 2000. Malden adopted the CPA in November 2015 by voting to approve a 1% local surcharge on property taxes which is matched annually via the state’s CPA fund. CPA Funds may be spent on capital improvement projects pertaining to Historic Preservation, Affordable Housing, and Open Space/Outdoor Recreation. CPA Funds are managed by the Malden CPC. Learn more in the links below:
Chosen per the Malden Community Preservation Ordinance
- Lisa Sulda, Co-Chair (Ward 1)
- Eric Henry, Co-Chair (Planning Board, Ward 3)
- Rachael Running, Vice-Chair (Ward 8)
- Khalil Kaba (Conservation Commission, Ward 4)
- Inna Babitskaya (Historical Commission, Ward 3)
- Vacancy (Housing Authority)
- Cameron Layne (Ward 7)
- Monique Ching (At Large, Ward 5)
- Brendan Brett (Ward 6)
If you have a project that you think may be eligible for CPA funding in FY23, please review the documents below and submit the online Pre-Application form between April 20th and June 7th, 2022. Eligible applicants will be notified by June 30th and invited to submit a full application which is due by September 13th, 2022:
- FY23 Application Instructions for all applicants
- FY23 Pre-Application Web Form (highly recommended) - due June 7, 2022*
- FY23 CPC Funding Application - Note: Applicants are required to complete a Pre-Application (above) prior to submitting a full Application.
- Application Web Form (highly recommended). Before submitting, please press the "SAVE" button at the end of the form. A pop-up window will request that you create a Jotform account, but you may press "Skip Create an Account" at the bottom of the window which will enable you to continue as a guest. A link will be provided which you may use to return to edit the application, or share with others to contribute (such as property owners whose signature is required).
- PDF Application Form - Applicants will be required to fill out the pdf provided in the link and combine all required attachments into one pdf that may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and delivered as two unbound paper copies to City Hall (215 Pleasant St., 2nd Floor, Room 220, Malden, MA 02148).
- Applicants present at a Public Hearing - November 2022-January 2023
- CPC Deliberates and Votes to Recommend Projects to City Council - January-February 2023
- CPC Recommends Applicants to Mayor and City Council for Approval - February-March 2023
- Grant Agreements Executed - June 2023
*Off-cycle applications may be accepted with the permission of the CPC Chair and Coordinator (email Maldencpc@cityofmalden.org) for projects with extenuating circumstances or for projects requiring emergency funding.
For reference, view current and prior year applications at CPA Funding Applications.
Share Your Ideas!
Fill out our survey to let us know how you think Malden CPA Funds should be spent. Surveys completed by April 12, 2022 will be incorporated into the 2022 CPC Plan Update.