The mission of the Emergency Management Department is to plan for and train to mitigate and recover from all risks, hazards and emergencies that could affect the lives of our residents, the education of our children, the furtherance of industry and commerce, and the preservation of property. The Department is focused on ensuring that Malden is prepared to withstand, respond to and recover from all types of natural and manmade disasters and emergencies.
To accomplish this, efforts include:
- Strengthening preparedness and the efficiency of responses
- Assessing mitigation and recovery
- Planning emergency response to hazardous material accidents
- Shelter management
- Emergency dispensing site activation
- Emergency Response Team formation
The Department also works on public education around various issues related to how residents can protect themselves through prior planning and preparedness.