The first Armory once stood on this site at 129 Mountain Avenue. In 1907, the construction company Whiton & Hayes of Boston won the contract to build a new armory of brick and stone as suggested by local resident, Sylvester Baxter. The Malden Rifles, Company L, Fifth Regiment, Massachusetts Volunteer Militia celebrated the twenty-fifth anniversary of its founding at the dedication of this Victorian interpretation of a fortress. The building housed officers' and men's quarters as well as a rifle range. In December 2006, the restored Armory building complete with an addition opened as the new home for a state-of-the-art Malden YMCA.
129 Mountain Avenue