The Junior Engineer works under the direction of the City Engineer and/or his/her designee to provide engineering and technical support to the Engineering Department. This individual shall provide technical design, construction oversight, and inspection of private contractors and consultants; assist in administering projects, contracts, and grant and loan programs involving technically oriented and highly specialized subject matter; and other duties as assigned.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Assist in all aspects of the roadway and utility infrastructure programs including planning, design, contract and specifications development, procurement, project execution, and construction inspection. Perform in-house designs using AutoCAD. Develop, execute and file project as-built plans, specifications and details to Department standards.
• Procure contracts including the preparation of bid documents and plans, advertising, administration and opening of capitals contracts.
• Coordinate and oversee municipal and/or contract forces in implementing roadway, water, sewer, drainage and other infrastructure projects. Coordinate municipal forces and participate in reconnaissance of existing facilities; compile data required for reporting.
• Serve as the Department’s liaison with various engineering consultants. In this capacity, the Junior Engineer shall coordinate, assist, monitor, and review the work of consultants engaged by the Engineering Department.
• Coordinate filings and permitting requirements associated with the MWRA, DEP, EPA, and other agencies. Coordinate the City’s compliance with forthcoming stormwater regulations.
• Assist in the development of design standards for municipal utilities and enhancement of the Department’s protocols and procedures.
• Attend meetings of City’s boards and commissions as required, and attend other evening meetings as directed by the City Engineer. Prepare and present appropriate technical data, reports and studies and provide other information as requested by various boards and committees.
• Provide timely review and make recommendations regarding proposals and requests for connections or expansions to the City’s water, sewer and drain systems; conduct inspections and approvals of such connections and establish and maintain permanent records.
• Receive citizen reports of complaints of defects and/or hazards, conduct inspections of same, initiate written work orders and schedule repairs. Assist the public, provide information and permits and provide other services as needed. Issue permits and collect fees as authorized by the City Engineer.
• Work with other City staff to enhance the City’s Geographic Information System (GIS) utility database to extend its use to a broader range of engineering and operations functions.
• Administer or assist with other special projects and programs, and perform other work as assigned.
This position requires an energetic, pro-active professional and knowledgeable person to balance and prioritize situations. The individual must be a team-orientated problem solver with excellent communication skills who is able to solve difficult, technical problems individually and work cooperatively in a team approach. The qualified individual must possess a Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering or related field with at least two (2) years of experience in municipal engineering design, project management and construction inspection, roadway and utility (water, sewer, drainage) design and construction, or public works construction. Other applicable work experience may be substituted for municipal experience as deemed appropriate by the City. Thorough knowledge of civil engineering principals and the materials, methods, practices and equipment used in the design, construction, maintenance and repair of roadways and water, sewer, and drainage systems is a must. Must also have experience in working with Microsoft Office programs including Word, Excel and Outlook along with a working knowledge of AutoCAD; and knowledge of GIS principals. Excellent written and oral communication skills and meticulous attention to detail is a must. Qualified candidate must have a current & valid Massachusetts driver’s license with a responsible driving record. Massachusetts Engineer in Training (EIT) certification preferred.
The City of Malden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Selected candidate will need to submit to a Criminal Offenders Records Information report (CORI), background check and pre-employment drug screening.