The Converse Memorial Building, also known as the Converse Memorial Library, was opened in October, 1885. The building was designed by America's leading 19th century architect, Henry Hobson Richardson. The building site was selected by noted landscape designer, Frederick Law Olmstead. It was constructed in 1883-1885 in an overall L-shape with a facade of brown Longmeadow sandstone. The main library room is finished in elaborately carved white oak with significantly high ceilings. Richardson also designed the interior furnishings which were manufactured by the Albert H. Davenport Co., a Boston furniture company whose owner also lived in Malden. The library was donated to the City in 1885 by Malden's first Mayor, Elisha S. Converse and his wife, Mary Diana, as a lasting memorial to their son, Frank. He had been the victim of the first bank robbery murder in the history of the United States. Converse donated money for its construction as well as some of the artwork. The building was designated a National Historical Landmark in 1987.
36 Salem Street