The Malden Disability Commission (“Commission”) was established in accordance with the provisions of M.G.L.c. 40, §8J. Its core mission is to eliminate discrimination against persons of differing abilities. The Commission provides information, education, referral, guidance, and technical assistance to public and private agencies, individuals, organizations and institutions to ensure that all persons have equal access to facilities, services and programs.
The Commission assists the City of Malden and its residents in bringing about full integration and participation of people of all abilities through the following activities:
- Research local issues of people with differing abilities;
- Advise and assist municipal officials and employees in ensuring compliance with state and federal laws and regulations affecting people with differing abilities;
- Coordinate or carry out programs designed to meet the issues or concerns of people with differing abilities in coordination with the Massachusetts Office on Disability;
- Research, review and make recommendations about policies, procedures, services, activities, and facilities of departments, boards and agencies of Malden as they affect people with differing abilities;
- Provide information, referrals, guidance and technical assistance to individuals, public agencies, business and organizations in all matters pertaining to disabilities; and,
- Coordinate activities and partner with other local groups organized for similar purposes.